Community Service Hours can now be entered online using MyWay. Login and follow the instructions! Always keep a record of your commitments in case you need them for the future.
Students Graduating in the 2021-2022 School Year
For the 2021-22 school year, the Ministry of Education is revising the 40-hour community involvement graduation requirement so that students will not be adversely impacted by the ongoing challenges related to COVID-19.
For students graduating in the 2021-22 school year, the community involvement graduation requirement will be reduced to a minimum of 20 hours of community involvement activities. This recognizes that graduating students have had barriers to earning their community involvement hours last school year and there may be continued barriers this school year. Students graduating in the years to follow will be expected to earn 40 hours.
Opportunities For Students to Earn Volunteer Hours In the Time of COVID-19
Given the challenges that the COVID-19 pandemic has caused, we would like to provide a list of suggested opportunities for students to gain community involvement hours at a distance.
What follows is a list of suggestions for students if they wish to add to their community involvement hours:
- Write a letter to a grandparent or a neighbour.
- Babysit siblings so that parents/caregivers can work from home.
- Do chores such as cleaning up, raking leaves or other yard work, prepare family meals to support parents working from home.
- Create an inspirational video to post to social media.
- Create inspirational/positive messaging to other students using social media.
- Create a window display to increase community morale.
- Create a video to entertain children (sing a song, create art) to post on social media
- Create a video teaching a skill (words from a language other than English or cooking a favourite food) to children
- Create a list of resources that could be helpful for families or that could support children during this time and post on social media
- SPARK Ontario
- SPARK and the Government of Ontario are connecting volunteers with community response efforts to the COVID-19 Pandemic.
WRDSB students are reminded that they may track their community service hours through their MyWay Account.