March 22nd, 2023
On Tuesday, April 11th, and Tuesday, April 18th all of our Grade 10 students as well as any Grade 11 or 12 student who was previously eligible, but has not yet written the test or who has not yet been successful, will be writing the Ontario Secondary Schools Literacy Test (OSSLT) in their Period B class. Students must successfully complete this literacy requirement for the granting of their Ontario Secondary School Diploma. Once again this test will be administered and completed online.
PLEASE NOTE: All sessions of the OSSLT will be a regular school day, with a regular schedule for all students.
Key Dates for those who are writing the OSSLT:
March 27: Presentation In Period C Classes
April 3 – 6: Period B Classes will do a Practice Test
April 5: Help Session @ Lunch Room 1747
April 11: Test Booklet 1 during Period B Classes
April 18: Test Booklet 2 during Period B Classes
Each booklet session is 60 mins, but students may take up to 120 mins to complete it if required.
Students writing the test are encouraged to explore practice materials found on the OSSLT Website or access our information found in the OSSLT Preparation Materials Slidedeck. If your student has any questions or concerns regarding the literacy test they should see their Guidance Counsellor, Special Education Resource Teacher, or their Vice Principal.
How can I help my student prepare for the OSSLT?
Before the Test
- Encourage your student to be present on April 4th for the Information assembly and practice test day and to consider participating in the extra help session offered by the school.
- Encourage your student to review the format and tools available within the test writing platform by previewing the practice test HERE.
- Students eligible for special accommodations will be contacted by the Special Education Department in advance of the test. If this applies to your student, encourage them to reach out to Preston’s Special Education Department.
The Day of the Test
- Remind your student to be on time for their period B class.
- Remind your student to eat breakfast before the test.
- Ensure your student has a fully charged and working WRDSB Chromebook.
- Encourage your student to take the full amount of allotted time, each booklet is designed to take 60 minutes, but students are allowed to use up to 120 minutes to complete each booklet if required.
- Encourage students to reread and check their work.
- Some students may want to bring a mouse or headphones in order to access the text-to-speech capabilities. Please report any tech issues through the form in the slide deck. Students can request a mouse through this process. We also will have headphones in the test classrooms as well.
- Encourage your student to do their best.
Parents and students interested in learning more about the OSSLT are invited to visit the EQAO website at https://www.eqao.com/the-assessments/osslt/. If you have any further questions please contact your Guidance counselor or Vice Principal.